This library is licensed for personal use or for smal companies generating less than $100,000 annually, for any other cases, please get in touch with us.
Digital Elevation Model library in C#
- Elevation queries (point, polylines, heightmap, GPX)
- 3D export (glTF, STL)
- Imagery (MapBox, OSM, Stamen) : textured 3D models and normal maps
- No setup
- Automatic DEM file download from openTopography.org
- Fast and optimized queries
See samples here
Supported formats and datasets
- GeoTIFF (JAXA AW3D, and any GeoTIFF)
- HGT (Nasa SRTM)
Current dev status
- All incoming features are listed in the project board here : https://dev.azure.com/dem-net/elevationapi/_workitems/recentlyupdated/.
- Feel free to suggest any idea you'd like to see covered here in the issues : https://github.com/dem-net/DEM.Net/issues.
(Work in progress) SampleApp is a Console App used for test purposes, full of samples. It's pretty messy and lacks documentation but names are self explanatory.
How do I use the API ?
elevationService.DownloadMissingFiles(DEMDataSet.AW3D30, <bbox>)to download and generate metadata for a given dataset.
- Supported datasets : SRTM GL1 and GL3 (HGT files), AWD30 (GeoTIFF)
new RasterService().GenerateReport(DEMDataSet.AW3D30, <bounding box>)to download only necessary tiles using remote VRT file.
rasterService.GenerateFileMetadata(<path to file>, DEMFileFormat.GEOTIFF, false, false)to generate metada for an arbitrary file.
RasterService.GenerateDirectoryMetadata(samplePath);to generate metadata files for your raster tiles. These metadata files will be used as an index when querying Digital Elevation Model data.
glTFServicecan generate triangulated MeshPrimitives from height maps
- Export to .gtlf or .glb
- Rasters from http://www.opentopography.org Dataset used is "ALOS World 3D - 30m" : http://opentopo.sdsc.edu/lidar?format=sd&platform=Satellite%20Data&collector=JAXA
- For development and tests, files covering France were used.*
- Not used yet but worth mentionning : For sea bed elevation : ETOPO1 Global Relief Model https://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global/global.html
Acknowledgements / Sources
- https://github.com/stefangordon/GeoTiffSharp from @stefangordon which provided a good starting point.
- Pedro Sousa : http://build-failed.blogspot.fr/2014/12/processing-geotiff-files-in-net-without.html for good explanations.
- Mathieu Leplatre for http://blog.mathieu-leplatre.info/drape-lines-on-a-dem-with-postgis.html
- Andy9FromSpace : HGT file reader in https://github.com/Andy9FromSpace/map-elevation
Third party code and librairies
- glTF : glTF2Loader and AssetGenerator : https://github.com/KhronosGroup/glTF
- Tiff support : https://github.com/BitMiracle/libtiff.net
- Serialization : https://github.com/neuecc/ZeroFormatter and https://github.com/JamesNK/Newtonsoft.Json
- System.Numerics.Vectors for Vector support
- GPX reader from dlg.krakow.pl