Learn Vim (the Smart Way)
Learn Vim (the Smart Way) is a guide to learn the good parts of Vim.
There are many places to learn Vim: the
vimtutor is a great place to start and the
help manual has all the references you will ever need. However, the average user needs something more than
vimtutor and less than the
help manual. This guide attempts to bridge that gap by highlighting only the key features to learn the most useful parts of Vim in the least time possible.
This guide is written for both beginner and advanced Vimmers. It starts out with broad and simple concepts and ends with specific and advanced concepts. If you're an advanced user already, I would encourage you to read this guide from start to finish anyway, because you will learn something new!
I Want More Vim Tips!
Follow @learnvim for updates, Vim tips, etc.
Support This Project
This guide is and will always be free.
If you want to financially support this project, you can purchase this guide on Leanpub.
Table Of Contents
- Ch 0 - Read This First
Part 1: Learn Vim the Smart Way
- Ch 1 - Starting Vim
- Ch 2 - Buffers, Windows, and Tabs
- Ch 3 - Opening and Searching Files
- Ch 4 - Vim Grammar
- Ch 5 - Moving in a File
- Ch 6 - Insert Mode
- Ch 7 - The Dot command
- Ch 8 - Registers
- Ch 9 - Macros
- Ch 10 - Undo
- Ch 11 - Visual Mode
- Ch 12 - Search and Substitute
- Ch 13 - The Global Command
- Ch 14 - External Commands
- Ch 15 - Command-line Mode
- Ch 16 - Tags
- Ch 17 - Fold
- Ch 18 - Git
- Ch 19 - Compile
- Ch 20 - Views, Sessions, and Viminfo
- Ch 21 - Multiple File Operations
Part 2: Customize Vim the Smart Way
- Ch 22 - Vimrc
- Ch 23 - Vim Packages
- Ch 24 - Vim Runtime
Part 3: Learn Vimscript the Smart Way
- Ch 25 - Vimscript Basic Data Types
- Ch 26 - Vimscript Conditionals And Loops
- Ch 27 - Vimscript Variable Scopes
- Ch 28 - Vimscript Functions
- Ch 29 - Plugin Example: Writing a Titlecase Plugin
License & Copyright
The materials here are all © 2020-2021 Igor Irianto.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International.